3. Barbecue Dangers

While fun for people, barbecues can cause many problems in pets. Lighter fluid is toxic to them, trimmings can cause pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) and bones are potential foreign bodies.

A corn cob fed to a dog can get stuck in the small intestine. This is a serious (and potentially deadly) condition. It may stay in the GI for days before a diagnosis is made, which often means that part of the intestine will need to be removed during surgery.

The photo here shows a bullmastiff puppy who had to have surgery to remove a corn cob from his gut.

2. “Fly Strike”

Flies create maggots. Maggots feed on animal flesh. Yuck is right.

You may want to skip this one, as we are going to talk about maggots.

Flies can lay eggs on bodily fluids or in diseased tissues: a wound, diarrhea, urine, eye drainage, pus, etc. It is more likely in pets with a thick or long hair coat, or who live outside. Prevention includes grooming, bathing, treating diarrhea and infections quickly, keeping pets indoors, and fly-control programs.

Flies lay eggs, which become larvae — aka maggots — in as little as 12 hours. Maggots feed off animal flesh. Maggots eventually become flies, and are soon ready to lay eggs on the next victim… And the wonderful circle of life continues.

Information for the Summer Months

Depending on your geographical local contact with rattlesnakes may or may not be relevant. Bites from rattlesnakes can range from severe envenomation causing death to mild bites that require minimal treatment. Bites vary in the size of snakes and the condition resulting in the bite. An aggressive or protective bite is often worse because of the amount of venom that is injected. Bites to the feet, legs or along the chest wall also tend to be more severe than bites to the face. A smaller dog or cat that gets bitten may be much more affected by the bite than a large dog. Any pet that is bitten by a rattlesnake should be evaluated for treatment. Rattlesnake venom can cause local skin death as well as internal bleeding, breathing problems and kidney failure. If antivenom is required, the sooner it is given the more effective it is in stopping the progression of the snake venom toxicity. All pets that are suspected or known to have been bitten by a rattlesnake should be taken to a veterinarian immediately. This includes pets that have received the rattlesnake vaccine.

Signs that you pet has been by a rattlesnake include:

  • Swelling and pain around the bite puncture wounds
  • Bruising of the skin and surrounding area
  • Lethargy depression
  • Oozing puncture wounds
  • Drooling
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Weakness and collapse
  • Stiffness and paralysis

Call Your Veterinarian or Animal Emergency Center of Temple- Belton  (254) 231-3774

Canine Parvovirus

Canine parvovirus is a highly contagious virus that can affect all dogs, but unvaccinated dogs and puppies younger than four months old are the most at risk. Dogs that are ill from canine parvovirus infection are often said to have "parvo." The virus affects dogs' gastrointestinal tracts and is spread by direct dog-to-dog contact and contact with contaminated stool, environments, or people. The virus can also contaminate kennel surfaces, food and water bowls, collars and leashes, and the hands and clothing of people who handle infected dogs. It is resistant to heat, cold, humidity, and drying, and can survive in the environment for long periods of time. Even trace amounts of stool containing parvovirus may infect other dogs that come into the infected environment. It can be transmitted from place to place on the hair or feet of dogs or via contaminated cages, shoes, or other objects.

Signs of parvovirus

Some of the signs of parvovirus include lethargy; loss of appetite; fever; vomiting; and severe, often bloody, diarrhea. Vomiting and diarrhea can cause rapid dehydration, and most deaths from parvovirus occur within 48 to 72 hours following the onset of signs. If your puppy or dog shows any of these signs, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.


While no specific drug is available that will kill the virus in infected dogs, treatment consists primarily of efforts to combat dehydration by replacing electrolyte and fluid losses, controlling vomiting and diarrhea, and preventing secondary infections until the dog’s immune system is able to fight the virus. Due to the highly contagious nature of parvovirus, infected dogs must be isolated in order to prevent the spread of the infection.

Preventing parvovirus

The best way to prevent parvovirus is through good hygiene and vaccination. Make sure to get your puppies vaccinated, and that your adult dogs are kept up to date on their parvovirus vaccination. Talk to your veterinarian about a canine parvovirus vaccination plan that is best for your pet. Until a puppy has received its complete series of vaccinations, pet owners should use caution when bringing their pet to places where young puppies or dogs with unknown vaccination histories congregate.

Call Your Veterinarian or Animal Emergency Center of Temple- Belton  (254) 231-3774

Animal Emergency Center of Temple-Belton 

5 Common But Deadly Summer Dangers for Pets

With the summer come countless outdoor hazards: Big people and little kids going in and out all the time, open doors, open gates, open windows, barbecues, swimming pools and more.
Be aware of the dangers, and please make your guests aware of them too.

"Serving your pets' after hours needs!"


4. Water Safety

Even though most dogs are considered natural swimmers, they can get into trouble if they fall into a swimming pool or fall overboard from a boat. This is true especially if your dog gets hurt in the process, or has conditions such as obesity or heart disease. On a boat, use a doggie life preserver (affiliate link). At the beach, rinse the salt off your dog with clear water after a bath in the ocean.

Most pool covers are not appropriate to prevent disasters, especially as pets can end up under the cover and suffocate or drown. If your pet falls into a pool, she may not be able to get out of it with high, vertical, slippery sides and an impractical ladder. If you don’t have stairs that are practical for dogs, some companies make ramps that are doggy friendly.

Various states and countries have different rules when it comes to swimming pools, such as requiring a locked gate.

1. Antifreeze/Radiator Coolant

Dogs and cats love the sweet taste of the green stuff. But it kills.

When temperatures rise in the summer, cars (whether it’s yours or not!) can leak antifreeze. Or people may have spilled some liquid while topping it off.

The green fluid contains ethylene glycol, and its sweet taste is appealing to both dogs and cats. It is extremely toxic (read: deadly), even in very small amounts. Take your dog (cats are usually smarter) to the veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet may have licked some antifreeze.

A safe alternative to ethylene glycol antifreeze is actually available: propylene glycol. Many wish ethylene glycol will be banned and propylene glycol will become mandatory. Please note that antifreeze/coolant is a year-round danger.

we're animal lovers just like you!

Sometimes it's tough to know where to turn when your dog, cat, iguana, or other friend-furry or feathered-isn't feeling well. That's why we started Animal Emergency Center of Temple-Belton, to address their medical needs that occur outside of normal business hours.

5. Car Windows

Restrain your pet while driving, and never leave unattended in a parked car.

Car restraints will prevent your pet from jumping out of the window (a classic) or bolting the minute a door opens.

I cringe every time I see a dog’s head sticking out of a car window: At best, the dog may get a severe case of conjunctivitis (eye inflammation). At worst, it may jump out the window and get road rash or skin lacerations, or wind up in the operating room with nasty fractures. Don’t simply assume that your pet has a special sense to avoid falling from a window.

Also, please don’t believe that because your pet has not done anything crazy 99 times, he won’t decide to jump the 100th time…

By the way, do not ever leave your pet unattended in a car, even with the window cracked open.

Who We Are

Animal Emergency Center of Temple-Belton is an adjunct veterinary care provider to your pet's regular doctor. The clinic is designed and built to efficiently handle injuries and illnesses that occur when your regular veterinarian is unavailable. Once your pet is stabilized, you will be referred back to your veterinarian during normal business hours for follow-up care in much the same way you would be if visiting a human hospital's emergency room.


We treat every animal that walks throughour doors as though it were our own.


Monday-Saturday 6:00 pm-8:00 am

Saturday 12:00 pm - Monday 8:00 am

Open ALL Holidays